Patisserie Holdings fined £60k after mouse droppings found in bakery

first_imgPatisserie Holdings has been fined £60k after inspectors found mouse droppings at a bakery.The business was also ordered to pay £5,690 in costs at Birmingham magistrates court after earlier pleading guilty to four offences under the Food Hygiene and Safety Regulations 2013.Magistrates were told that the bakery in Hall Green, which makes products for Patisserie Holdings’ Druckers brand, was closed for four days in June last year following a routine food hygiene inspection by the Environmental Health Team from Birmingham City council.Patisserie Holdings said it was “disappointed” the council found a shortfall in hygiene standards during their inspection.“We take seriously its responsibilities to ensure the highest standards of food hygiene are maintained at its bakery at all times,” it added.The business said it had now brought in a number of improvements to ensure the bakery maintained “the highest standards of food hygiene”.Councillor Barbara Dring, chair of the city council’s Licensing and Public Protection Committee, said: “People should be able to have confidence in the safety of the food served and cleanliness of any food business in Birmingham – regardless of whether it’s a factory, retailer or restaurant.”last_img read more

Reopening of Saint Peter’s marks first step for Italy’s Catholics

first_imgMost, however, opened shortly thereafter, with entry reserved for prayer only.”I share the joy of those communities who can finally reunite as liturgical assemblies, a sign of hope for all society,” Francis said on Sunday during his live-streamed prayer. Italy’s lockdown not only extinguished most business activity in the country, but radically disrupted Italians’ personal lives, including attending mass.Francis has been livestreaming mass from a chapel at his residence inside the Vatican City. Saint Peter’s Basilica throws its doors open to visitors on Monday, marking a relative return to normality at the Vatican and beyond in Italy, where most business activity is set to resume.Public masses also resume throughout the predominantly Catholic country after a two-month hiatus, while restaurants, bars, cafes, shops and hairdressers, among other businesses, are all expected to reopen.In the face of much opposition, including from Pope Francis, churches in Rome were shuttered at the beginning of the coronavirus emergency in early March. The Argentine pontiff is not yet expected to lead any public religious ceremonies either in the basilica, which can accommodate 60,000 people, or in Saint Peter’s Square, as the Vatican seeks to avoid crowds.Francis will, however, celebrate a private mass on Monday, broadcast by video, in front of the tomb of John Paul II, on the 100th anniversary of the birth of the Polish-born pontiff.In Milan, the Duomo cathedral will conduct mass at 10:30 GMT. On Friday, the cathedral said it had introduced gadgets worn around the neck that beep softly, flash and vibrate if visitors approach too closely to one another. Disinfection In preparation for the reopening of Saint Peter’s, the largest Catholic church in the world was disinfected on Friday, with workers in full protective suits and masks spraying down the surface of the 23,000-square meter site.The Vatican State, an independent enclave in the heart of Rome, has applied the same anti-virus measures as Italy, where the official death toll from the virus stands at nearly 32,000.The basilica, as well as three other papal basilicas, is expected to follow a recommendation from Italy’s interior ministry limiting attendance at religious celebrations in enclosed places of worship to 200 people.Across Italy’s tens of thousands of churches, Catholics will be able to attend not only masses but also weddings and funerals, provided they abide by a series of measures, including wearing masks and sitting or standing well spaced apart.More than 800,000 commercial activities which have been under lockdown since Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte imposed restrictions on March 9 should be able to reopen on Monday, said Confcommercio, Italy’s largest business association. Topics :last_img read more

Neymar out for 21 days

first_imgRelatedPosts No directive to constitute disciplinary committee against us — Ojudu, others ‘Army Officer’ in EFCC net for alleged multiple fraud COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance Neymar limped out of Brazil’s friendly against Nigeria in Singapore on Sunday after only 12 minutes.The 27-year-old was replaced by midfielder Philippe Coutinho after feeling an injury in his left thigh. The match was 0-0 after 30 minutes.Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar missed this year’s Copa America because of a right ankle injury. He only returned to action two months later.The Brazilian also had a right foot injury in January playing for PSG. The problem in his fifth metatarsal kept him off the pitch for almost three months.Neymar also injured his right foot months before the World Cup in Russia in 2018.The friendly could have marked Neymar’s rise to second all-time Brazil top goal scorer. He has 61 goals, one less than two-time World Cup winner Ronaldo.last_img read more