Non-coronavirus patients grow wary as hospital crisis looms

first_imgThe outbreak has escalated rapidly since then, with the country recording more than 1,500 cases and 136 deaths.Gilang and many others with underlying medical conditions are deemed the most at risk if infected by the virus as it could lead to complications requiring intensive care.There is no data available to the public on the preexisting illnesses most frequently found in deceased COVID-19 patients in Indonesia. But various findings by health authorities abroad, like in cases in China, find that coronavirus patients with underlying conditions such as cardiovascular disease have higher fatality rates.The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s morbidity and mortality report published on March 31, meanwhile, shows that 78 percent of ICU patients with COVID-19 in the US had at least one of underlying health problem — diabetes, cardiovascular disease, chronic lung disease, long-term kidney disease and a weakened immune system. As the COVID-19 pandemic grows, non-coronavirus patients are worried about getting sidelined, while fearing that visiting hospitals might expose them to the highly contagious disease.In December last year, 24-year-old freelance TVC producer Gilang Prabu was diagnosed with grade two brain tumor. It took him months on the waiting list of two cancer hospitals in Jakarta to start chemotherapy in early March, in addition to separate and more frequent general and blood check-ups.Unfortunately for him, early March also marked the announcement of the country’s first two confirmed COVID-19 cases, although experts believe local transmissions occurred way earlier. “I’m terribly afraid of going out because my immune system is in a very bad shape. If I get infected, I will certainly not survive,” Gilang told The Jakarta Post on Sunday.But it is almost impossible for him to suspend his treatment as chances are high for his cancer to develop into advanced stage three.Many hospitals in Indonesia have enforced health screenings for visitors and limited the number of visitors to ensure physical distancing. The Health Ministry has also suggested that those with mild symptoms self-isolate instead of seeking hospital treatment to avoid exhausting the country’s healthcare system.Some experts believe Indonesia’s hospitals, unevenly spread across the country, with most in Java, are not prepared for the outbreak. Data collected by the World Bank shows that in 2015, the country only had 1.2 hospital beds per 1,000 people and four doctors per 10,000 people in 2017.Health Ministry data, cited in modeling by the National Development Planning Agency (Bappenas) and the University of Indonesia’s (UI) public health experts, shows that there are 276,458 hospital beds in the country, 40,829 of which are owned by the 132 COVID-19 referral hospitals.As of March, there are 1,063 ICUs with isolation facilities, 157 isolation rooms with ventilators, 1,477 isolation wards, 4,155 oxygen tubes, 8,158 ventilators and 2,032 emergency rooms with isolation capability.Read also: Bappenas, UI modeling shows grim projection of COVID-19 spread in IndonesiaGilang said booking a bed in a ward at regional hospitals had always been difficult, and following the outbreak, reserving a bed in a ward and booking an appointment with specialist doctors at private hospitals had also become harder as people grew worried about their health.”Everyone may be cautious about COVID-19, but there are millions of other people with illnesses as dangerous [as COVID-19]. They are as deserving of hospital treatment [as COVID-19 patients] because they also want to continue on living, or at least to extend their life expectancy,” he said. “There are millions of us.”Indonesia has seen a growing prevalence of noninfectious chronic illnesses, according to the latest report of the five-yearly Basic Health Research (Riskesdas). The prevalence of cancer increased to 1.8 percent in 2018 from 1.4 percent in 2013, diabetes to 8.5 percent from 6.9 percent, stroke to 10.9 percent from 7 percent and chronic kidney disease to 8.5 percent from 6.9.Dina Maharani, 24, who takes her 62-year-old father to undergo hemodialysis twice a week at Soedono General Hospital in Madiun, East Java, is worried that her father might contract the virus at the hospital — now a COVID-19 referral hospital and currently treating nine positive patients, mostly from neighboring regions.She said she was now pinning her hopes on the government to impose restrictions on the upcoming Idul Fitri exodus, which will see many people returning to their hometowns, prompting fears that the virus might spread further to smaller regions such as Madiun and take a toll on their limited healthcare systems.”My father’s hospital can still handle its patients […] but God forbid, when Madiun starts seeing more cases later, the hospital will have to be selective […] Patients like my father have to be prioritized as well as they can’t live without hemodialysis,” Dina said.Public health expert at the Padjajaran University, Panji Hadisoemarto, said ensuring that non-COVID-19 patients could still receive their treatment was a “very important issue that doesn’t earn enough attention”.He said that apart from applying triage to separate patients of infectious and non-infectious diseases, flattening the curve of COVID-19 infections must be done so as to not overwhelm the healthcare system and disrupt services.”This doesn’t necessarily mean that [all] COVID-19 should be prioritized, but there can be many people who will be infected by COVID-19, some of whom will need various degrees of hospital care. COVID-19 patients will take up hospitals’ capacity,” he said.The Health Ministry’s disease control and prevention director general, Achmad Yurianto, who is also the government’s spokesperson for COVID-19 affairs, said that some hospitals, such as Jakarta’s Sulianti Saroso Infectious Diseases Hospital and Persahabatan General Hospital, have been appointed to treat COVID-19 cases only. The two hospitals are among the 132 COVID-19 referral hospitals nationwide.While the former athletes village in Kemayoran, Central Jakarta, which has been turned into an emergency hospital to treat COVID-19 cases, has a capacity of 3,000 people and has so far been filled with some 300 people, according to Yurianto.Some of the referral hospitals can still treat non-COVID-19 patients, while there are also hospitals, like the state-run Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital (RSCM), which currently do not accept COVID-19 patients at all, he said.He, however, did not provide the exact number of hospitals treating COVID-19 patients nor comment on whether COVID-19 cases had overrun hospitals’ capacity.The number of COVID-19 cases needing hospital care could exceed hospitals’ capacity by April — in this case 50 percent of the beds at the 132 referral hospitals and 50 percent of the beds at class A and B hospitals — without high degree of intervention that include mass testing and mandatory physical distancing, according to the Bappenas-UI modeling.Read also: Vigilance key to avoid healthcare battle on two frontsThe outbreak has not only put a strain on hospitals but also demotivated people from donating blood. Indonesia has seen a decline in blood donors by 20 to 50 percent, while demand for blood persists, particularly for illnesses such as hemophilia, thalassemia and dengue fever, said Lilis Wijaya of the Indonesian Red Cross (PMI).” The PMI is calling people to donate their blood. There’s nothing to be afraid of because we routinely disinfect our facilities, use sterile tools and conduct health screening on every donor while providing hand sanitizer in our rooms,” she said.Topics :last_img read more

Kevin de Bruyne set for Manchester City debut

first_img The 25-year-old faces another six weeks on the sidelines and could miss at least City’s next seven games, but Pellegrini does not think he was rushed back. He said: “I think Fabian worked with us before he went with his national squad, with normality, without any problems. “It was very unlucky for him to have the injury but bad things happen.” Silva’s injury does not appear so serious and Pellegrini is hopeful he will be back in contention for the visit of Juve. He said: “He is out for tomorrow and maybe it is a risk for him to take another kick in the same place, so it is better for him to rest a couple of days.” City’s fine start to the season will be tested by Alan Pardew’s Palace, who have also made a positive early impression by collecting nine points from their opening four games. Pellegrini said: “Last season Alan Pardew also finished in a very good way with Crystal Palace. “He is a manager that always has a good team with good performance. I am not surprised by them because they have very good players.” Club record signing Kevin de Bruyne is poised to make his Manchester City debut as David Silva sits out this weekend’s trip to Crystal Palace. Speaking at a press conference to preview the Selhurst Park clash with second-placed Palace, Pellegrini said: “In his position it is more easy, maybe, to settle in our team. He needs maybe to be included in the movements of our squad for more time, but if we need him at this moment he can play without problems.” Pellegrini made just one change to his starting line-up in City’s first four games of the campaign – all of which were won convincingly without conceding a goal. Former Chelsea player De Bruyne’s big-money move from Wolfsburg came after the last of them, against Watford almost a fortnight ago, and has since been away with Belgium. Pellegrini would have liked more time to work with him but does not think his lack of familiarity with his new team-mates will be a problem. He said: “It is not the best way to arrive, to go to his national squad, but it doesn’t matter. “He is a very young player, 24 years old. I always say when good players arrive at a good team with very good players like David, Kun (Sergio Aguero), Yaya (Toure), just to name some, they will continue improving.” The international break has come at a cost for City with the luckless Fabian Delph injured as well as key playmaker Silva. Delph, who missed the start of the season with a hamstring injury, suffered a fresh problem to the same muscle in the first minute of England’s midweek win over Switzerland. Press Association Silva is not being risked by manager Manuel Pellegrini ahead of next Tuesday’s Champions League encounter against Juventus after suffering an ankle injury during the international break. That should make it straightforward for the Barclays Premier League leaders to slot their new £54million man into their formidable-looking side. last_img read more

Video: Bright Adjei’s wonder goal gets nominated for CNN goal of the week

first_imgBright Adjei’s equalizer against AshGold in Obuasi on Saturday in the Ghana Premier League has been nominated as one of the best goals of the week by CNN.The youngster restored parity in the closing stages of the game to earn a point for the Dormaa side.Adjei acrobatically connected Godfred Saka’s cross from the right to the delight of fans and the technical team. Other nominees include Luis Suarez of Barcelona, Javier Cortes of Pumas andTom Regic of Celtic. – Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @JoySportsGH. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more

Transfer window the talk of Europe

first_imgMadrid, Spain | AFP | The European football transfer window may now be closed but there was talk of little else this week as the likes of top coaches Zinedine Zidane, Carlo Ancelotti and even German Chancellor Angela Merkel made calls for sweeping changes.The subject is at the centre of attention not only because of the soaring inflation that marked the latest round of transfers, but also because of the mayhem losing top players can wreak on a team’s best-laid plans.The English Premier League clubs voted on Thursday to shut the 2018 close-season window before the start of the 2018-19 campaign in a move that sparked approval across the European game.The vote followed complaints by managers that transfer activity disturbs their preparations and others in Spain, Germany, Italy and France have been swift to jump on the bandwagon.The windows in Europe’s other major leagues run until at least August 31, meaning clubs outside England could buy players from English top-flight teams after the new Premier League deadline.“I think the same thing as most people do,” said Real Madrid coach Zidane. “The transfer window must stop when the league restarts. When official competition restarts, it must stop.”Manchester City are believed to be one of the five clubs who voted against the proposal, but their coach Pep Guardiola said the club’s only concern was that rival teams in other European leagues will still be able to sign players — potentially from English clubs — after the window has closed in the Premier League.“I am so happy with the decision the Premier League have taken. I think it’s really good,” he said.“Manchester City, what I know is they agree about that. We just have to reflect that the transfer window in England will be closed sooner than in Europe.“Hopefully we can fix it so all the other clubs in Europe finish at the same time.”Bayern coach Ancelotti, who won the 2014 Champions League title as Real’s head coach after winning it twice at AC Milan, hopes the Bundesliga follows the example set by English clubs.“No one is happy with the situation, so this is a very good idea,” the Italian said.“I hope the Bundesliga will soon follow this rule.“The market has to close before the start of the season.”In Italy, Juventus director general Giuseppe Marotta also backed the decision. “It’s the right choice. Having such a long transfer window creates turmoil, a well-run club succeeds by planning out a transfer campaign,” he said.“The transfer market has to be limited, you can’t have players moving when the leagues have already started.”— Lewandowski disagrees —UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has also given his support to making the close-season trading period shorter.But German Chancellor Merkel on Friday urged UEFA and FIFA to focus instead on stamping out spiralling spending on players.“I view the financial developments in professional football as critically as many people,” she told regional daily Mittelbayerische Zeitung.“Such sums are comprehensible to no one. UEFA and FIFA should change the rules on player transfers to ensure greater balance,” she said.Elsewhere in Germany, Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has said his club must spend more or risk being left trailing their rivals.“Bayern have to think something up and be more creative if the club wants to attract a world-class player to Munich,” Lewandowski told magazine Der Spiegel.center_img Earlier in the week, La Liga president Javier Tebas said both Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City were making a mockery of UEFA’s Financial Fair-play rules.PSG prised Brazilian superstar Neymar away from Barcelona for a world record 222 million euros ($264 million) and then took Monaco’s French star Kylian Mbappe on loan with an option to buy for 180 million euros.Manchester City also spent heavily in the last transfer window, lavishing an estimated £221 million (242 million euros, $288 million) on new players.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more