Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has highlighted the differences between his club’s philosophy and that of North London rivals Arsenal ahead of the game between the sides on Sunday. The Gunners have laid out big fees for a range of flashy signings in the recent past, capturing Alexandre Lacazette, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Nicolas Pepe. Spurs, meanwhile, went 18 months without signing a player after the January 2018 move for Lucas Moura. They have recruited this summer though, with Tanguy Ndombele, Jack Clarke, Giovani Lo Celso and Ryan Sessegnon swelling the ranks at the club. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Pochettino was reluctant to criticise his team’s approach, saying they had to find a way to compete regardless of spending. “Arsenal, in the last two years, signed Aubameyang, the best striker in Germany; Lacazette, the best striker in France and, one year after, Pepe,” the Argentine told reporters ahead of Sunday’s match. Based in the UK? Grab a Sky Sports Day Pass for just £8.99!“If you see us in five years … now our main striker is Harry Kane but our second specific striker is 17 years old, Troy Parrott. That is the difference in the projects. “I don’t want to say one is wrong and another is good. It’s only that the way we operate is completely different and, afterwards, we need to compete. [Formula One team] Mercedes compete with Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull. “After, we compete in the same race and, if you judge, the judgments need not only to be on the race but the whole process. That is why sometimes it’s fair and sometimes it’s not fair.” Spurs have taken on a large debt to build a new stadium, a problem that Arsenal faced some years ago. But it’s not just their local rivals that Pochettino is determined to resist comparison with, he also said that Liverpool and Manchester City worked under different circumstances. “If you do an exercise and see Liverpool when Klopp arrived – a little over one year after me – when we played that 0-0 … not one player from the starting XI is in their starting XI today,” Pochettino added. “If you compare with us, we have eight or nine still in the starting XI. Look at the difference. “You know very well that the debt of our club is £600m with the banks and, for sure, when you are delivering a project that Tottenham have been delivering in the last five years, you cannot compare with another club. “That is why Tottenham need to be judged under some circumstances and not when you compare the team with another team like Manchester City.” Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.
A Sri Lankan sniper arrested in Maldives was hired and brought into the country as part of a plot to assassinate President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom, the Maldives police announced, according to Haveeru Online.Confirming the arrest for the first time, police said in a statement that the 27-year-old man was arrested on October 24. He has been remanded by the Criminal Court for 15 days, the police added. “We can confirm that these weapons would be used in a general attack or utilised to launch an attack on particular individuals,” Ihsan said, during the press conference held a few minutes before the declaration of state of emergency on Wednesday. The police, however, did not reveal any further details. Haveeru first reported the Sri Lankan sniper’s arrest last week. Reports of the Sri Lankan sniper’s arrest came a day after Maldivian security forces confiscated assault rifles and hand guns in what has been the biggest weapons bust in the country’s history. The weapons had been seized from Hibilhadhoo island in Baa Atoll being developed as a resort.The army had confirmed that two assault rifles found in the weapons bust belonged to the state armoury. The items showcased during a press conference last week included several hand guns, a T56 assault rifle and a MP5 sub-machine gun. In addition, a large quantity of bomb making material were also displayed at the press briefing.Security forces cautioned the public Wednesday to be wary of more illegal weapons on the loose.At a joint press conference with the police, Captain Ali Ihsan from the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) said there was credible intelligence to suggest some people were in possession of more weapons. Those weapons had the potential of endangering the lives of the people, he warned. Maldivian authorities, however, neither confirmed nor denied the arrest at the time. Assistant police commissioner Abdulla Nawaz assured that every effort was being made to find those weapons. He asked the public to notify the police of any information that could lead to the discovery of those weapons.The joint warning by the armed forces and the police came a few minutes before the Maldives declared a month-long state of emergency in what has been extraordinary security measures following an explosion on a speedboat carrying the president and subsequent discovery of an arms haul.In the declaration of emergency, which was read out to journalists at the President’s Office by Attorney General Mohamed Anil, President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom said he had reached the decision after consultations with his national security council. Several explosive devices have been discovered in two separate operations carried out by the army and there is credible intelligence of an imminent attack using explosives and weapons, he added. Such an attack would endanger the lives of the public, the president said.The declaration of emergency came a day after security forces discovered an explosive device near the presidential palace.Maldives military had confirmed that the suspected device found in a vehicle parked near the presidential residence of Muliaage in capital Male was an improvised explosive device which had been subsequently been diffused.The discovery of the IED came just over a month after an explosion aboard the presidential speedboat carrying President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom now confirmed as an attempt to kill the president.President Yameen was unhurt but his spouse and two others were hurt in the explosion.The primary suspect in the blast appears to be former Vice President Ahmed Adheeb Abdul Ghafoor who was arrested on October 24 as soon as he arrived from an official trip to China.He is accused of high treason, a charge he denies. The government has intensified its crackdown on the former vice president and his associates.Before and since the former vice president’s arrest, police jointly with armed soldiers have been carrying out raids across capital Male. Most of the houses and offices searched so far had direct links to the former vice president.Parliament, meanwhile, voted unanimously Thursday to impeach Adheeb. (Colombo Gazette)
Sri Lanka today rejected concerns raised over the appointment of Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva as the Army Commander.Ambassador A.L.A. Azeez, Sri Lanka’s Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva told the UNHRC in Geneva during the 42nd session today that Silva’s appointment was an internal matter. He also noted Sri Lanka’s disappointment at concerns being raised by some countries over Silva’s appointment based on allegations. “With reference to the recent appointment of the Army Commander it must be noted that this is a sovereign decision taken by the Head of State. External attempts to influence decisions and internal administrative processes of public service promotions in Sri Lanka are unwarranted and unacceptable. Articulating a position of concern on this appointment by certain bilateral partners and international entities, based on allegations, is regrettable and contrary to the principles of natural justice,” he said. Yesterday the Core Group on Sri Lanka raised concerns at the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) during its ongoing session on the appointment of Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva as the Army Commander.In a statement made on behalf of Canada, Germany North Macedonia, Montenegro, and the United Kingdom as members of the Human Rights Council core group on Sri Lanka, the UK’s International Ambassador for Human Rights, Rita French outlined that the UK remains steadfast in its commitment to help Sri Lanka deliver peace, reconciliation and prosperity for all communities. “We hope that Sri Lanka will put this in place as a matter of priority. Madame High Commissioner, we share the concern expressed in your statement of 19 August that the appointment of General Silva as Army Commander severely compromises Sri Lanka’s commitment to promote justice and accountability and undermines reconciliation efforts. The core group believes that it is vital for peace and prosperity that Sri Lanka builds confidence in its commitment to protecting political space and human rights,” the Core Group had said.
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedWI Rising Stars U-17 championships: Guyana to clash with Windward Islands todayJuly 9, 2019In “latest news”Off to UK! Guyana’s Mavendra Dindyal included in Windies U-15 squad for UK tourAugust 7, 2018In “latest news”CPL 2019: 5 Berbicians in Warriors’ power-packed teamMay 31, 2019In “latest news” Tameshwar Mahadeo bats as Mavindra Dindyal looks onAfter a good showing in the just concluded inter-county tournament, the selected Guyana Under-15 team flew to Antigua on Thursday April 11, 2019 to participate in the West Indies U-15 championships.Led by Zachary Jodah and his deputy Mavindra Dindyal, the 14-member squad will play their first match on Saturday, April 13. Coached by Julian Moore, the well-balanced squad will play their Caribbean counterparts in defending champions Barbados, Windward Islands, Leeward Islands, Jamaica, and Trinidad and Tobago in the round robin 50 over competition that will conclude on April 21, 2019.Guyana, who finished in second position in 2018, have in their squad two of the most experienced players in Mavindra Dindyal and Isai Thorne, who have Regional experience. Dindyal, a gifted batsman, went on to represent West Indies U-16.In the just concluded inter-county U-17 tournament, Dindyal played three matches and scored a brilliant century, while he struck a composed 67 against Demerara at the Everest Cricket Club. Tipped as one for the future, Dindyal will be aiming to take this form into the Regional tournament.Thorne, a gifted fast bowler, will be hoping to dominate at the familiar Regional level, where he should generate more pace on the Antiguan pitches.Apart from Dindyal and Thorne, skipper Zachary Jodah is seen as a complete package with his all-round ability. Jodah, who played in the final match against Demerara in the under-17 inter-county, snared three wickets and displayed great control with his left-arm spin.The batting department of Guyana U-15 looks set, with Demerara’s stroke-maker Jadan Campbell and Berbice star batsmen Rampertab Ramnauth and Anthony Khan being the openers on tour.Ramnauth is seen as the first choice opener, having scored the most runs in the under-15 inter-county tourney and in the match earlier this week, when the left-hander carved out a brilliant 76 against a strong Demerara under-17 team.The middle looks a balanced unit with Dindyal, Berbice’s Tameshwar Mahadeo, Alvin Mohabir, Zachary Jodah and wicket-keeper Ravishkar Sobhai.The spin group consists of Jodah, Krsna Singh, Matthew Potaya, and Alvin Mohabir who is more than a useful off-spinner. Omari Lallbachan and Isai Thorne are the front line seamers, but Thaddeus Lovell, the capable all-rounder, will provide the extra seam bowling option.The full 14-member squad reads: Jadan Campbelle, Rampertab Ramnauth, Anthony Khan, Mavindra Dindyal, Tameshwar Mahadeo, Alvin Mohabir, Ravishkar Sobhai, Jonathan Vanlange, Zachary Jodah, Krsna Singh, Matthew Potaya, Thaddeus Lovell, Isai Thorne and Omari Lalbachan. (Brandon Corlette)